The rotolactor was a piece of industrial modernism introduced at Camden Park in 1952 by Edward Macarthur Onslow.
The idea came from the USA in the 1920s and the first rotolactor was built in New Jersey shortly after then.
Construction started in 1950 and completed in 1952. It had a capacity of 1000 cows a day and could milk 50 cows a day on a rotating platform.
The rotolactor was a huge tourist attraction for Menangle with up to 2000 visitors a week.
The rotolactor suffered from technical problems and closed in 1977. It opened shortly after this but finally closed down in 1983.
|Menangle Rotolactor on Camden Park closed in 1977 and was a huge tourist attraction to the village (Camden Images)|
|This postcard from the collection of the Camden Museum shows the view scene by a visitor the facility. (Camden Images)|
Brian Walsh, Milk and the Macarthurs the dairy history of Camden Park, Camden: Belgenny Farm Trust, 2016